To deactivate your Facebook account from a computer:
- Go to the deactivate your account page by clicking this link: https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=security.
- Click the “Edit” button next to “Deactivate your account.”
- Click “Continue to Account Deactivation” and follow the prompts to deactivate your account.
To deactivate your Facebook account from a mobile device:
- Open the Facebook app and log in to your account.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap “Settings & Privacy.”
- Tap “Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap “Account Ownership and Control.”
- Tap “Deactivate Account.”
- Follow the prompts to deactivate your account.
Deactivating your Facebook account will make your profile and timeline invisible to other users, but you can reactivate your account at any time by logging back in. If you want to permanently delete your account, you will need to follow the steps for deleting a Facebook account that I provided in an earlier answer.