Keto ice cream is a low-carb and sugar-free alternative to traditional ice cream that is suitable for people following a ketogenic diet. It is typically made with heavy cream, unsweetened almond milk, and keto-friendly sweeteners such as erythritol. The ingredients are mixed together and churned in an ice cream maker, or if you don’t have one, you can pour the mixture into a shallow container and place it in the freezer, stirring it every 30 minutes to prevent ice crystals from forming.
Keto ice cream can be a great option for those following a ketogenic diet or who are looking to reduce their carbohydrate intake. It can be flavored with different extracts such as vanilla, almond or mint, or you can add keto-friendly add-ins like chopped nuts, berries or chocolate chips.
Here is a simple recipe for keto ice cream that you can try at home:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup granulated erythritol or other keto-friendly sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: keto-friendly add-ins such as chopped nuts, berries, or chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, almond milk, erythritol, vanilla extract, and salt until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a shallow container and place it in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, take it out and stir the mixture to prevent ice crystals from forming.
- Once the ice cream is frozen, you can add any keto-friendly add-ins you like.
- Store the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to serve.
Note: You can use different ingredients to make different flavors such as cocoa powder to make chocolate ice cream, or different extracts such as almond or mint for different flavors. Also, you can use heavy whipping cream and cream cheese to make a creamier and richer ice cream.
It’s important to note that even though this recipe is suitable for a ketogenic diet, it still contains calories, so it should be consumed in moderation.