To write a check, follow these steps:
- Date the check in the top right corner.
- Write the name of the recipient in the “Pay to the Order of” field.
- Write the amount of the check in numerical form in the box to the right of the dollar sign.
- Write the amount of the check in words on the line below the recipient’s name. For example, if the check is for $45.67, you would write “Forty-five dollars and 67/100.”
- Write a brief message in the “For” field to specify the purpose of the check.
- Sign the check in the bottom right corner.
- If you want to void the check or make it invalid, write “VOID” diagonally across the front of the check.
Remember to fill out the check using a pen, not a pencil. Pencil can be erased, making it easier for someone to alter the check.