The scientific definition of nutrition is the study of the relationship between food and the body’s health. It involves understanding how the body uses nutrients and other dietary components, and how the diet can affect health, growth, and development.
Nutrition science is a multidisciplinary field that draws on knowledge from many other fields such as biology, biochemistry, physiology, psychology, and epidemiology. It encompasses many different aspects of nutrition, including:
- The chemical composition of food and the physiological and metabolic effects of different nutrients on the body
- The role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of various medical conditions
- The impact of environmental factors, such as food availability, economic factors, and cultural practices, on nutrition and health
- The assessment of nutritional status, including the use of dietary intake, anthropometric, and laboratory data
- The development and implementation of nutrition interventions, such as dietary recommendations and food fortification programs.
In summary, nutrition science is a field that studies the relationship between food and health and how different nutrients, food groups and dietary components affect the body’s functions, growth and development. It also involves the research and application of nutrition-related interventions to prevent and treat medical conditions, and to promote optimal health.